Thursday, July 5, 2012

Day 187

I am grateful for Old Glory.

I love our flag. I love all that she represents. I think she is the most beautiful representative of our United States, and I tear up every time she waves in the wind during the playing of the National Anthem.

When Brett first came home after he joined the Air Force Academy, we went to a football game in Seattle, AF v. UW. We got there a little late, and as we were walking from the covered area to our seats, the Star Spangled Banner began to play. I took two steps before I recognized it, and then I realized that Brett was no longer by my side. I turned to find him, and there he was standing stock straight, at attention, in full salute. Handsome already in his cadet uniform, that vision is seared into my memory like it was yesterday. I was so moved. I was still swallowing hard and brushing away involuntary tears when we eventually found our seats.

Thank You, Lord, for our beautiful, stately flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment