Monday, October 22, 2012

Day 296

I am grateful for Zon.

I adore my cousins. Most people call her Zon, but I've always called her ZonZon (pronounced 'sohn sohn'). She was nine, and I was 18 when my mom and I went to the Philippines for a month. She would hold an open umbrella out in front of me to protect me from being seen. She took her self-assigned job seriously too. We had the best time together. It was an unforgettable and incredibly short month.

She grew up and moved here with her parents about 20 years ago, making their home in the south. With her generous loving heart, fiery temperament, and quick wit, she is my mom's clone, and that's what she still calls herself. She said she's more like my mom than her own because hers is too sweet!

She's come to visit three times, and it was obvious where ZonZon was because there was always laughter. One of the greatest gifts she could have ever given was to bring her mom up here for my mom's birthday in October, 2010. Mom was absolutely shocked as my aunty walked in. Mom was in a lot of pain then and sat on the edge of her recliner, sobbing and hugging her as if for life. We still have that video, and I still get choked up at the sight of their reunion, made possible by the generosity and thoughtfulness of the most wonderful clone I will ever know. A heart as big as the whole wide world with a wonderful, quirky, loving, funny family of her own now, her friendship is priceless to me, and she continues to bless me by keeping in regular touch with my dad. She is an amazing soul, and I treasure her.

Thank You, Lord, for my ZonZon.

No comments:

Post a Comment