Thursday, October 25, 2012

Day 299

Sandy, Kevin, Me, Tim, Denise, Ken, Tracy, Vicki, and Tom

I am grateful for old friends.

This group goes back to our college days when we all attended Fourth Memorial Church. We did all kinds of things together, everyone got along really well, and we grew up a lot because and in spite of our friendships. We didn't know then that what we had was rare and of great worth. There were about 40 of us, but Kev and I mostly did stuff with about 10 or 12. A lot of couples came out of that group married, Kev and me included. I don't know why it's hard to make friends today like we did then, but I'm deeply thankful for this wacky and solid group.

There are five of us couples who still get together regularly. We try for every month, but sometimes it's every other. We have dinner, maybe do an activity or game, tell stories, catch up, and laugh a whole lot, especially when the guys poke fun at one another. The last get-together was at Tim's, and there was a couples shooting competition that Kev and I won! The only prize was bragging rights, but it was great.

It's a treasure to have friendships that last your whole life. I was 20 when I joined in at the invitation of a classmate in college who just happened to be the college group pastor. It felt like a kidskin glove, and I never looked back. I only look forward to making more memories with these foundation friends.

Thank You, Lord, for lifelong friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment