Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day 19

I am grateful for a good movie.

A Christmas break tradition for us these last six years or so is to go to a movie as a family. It started with some friends who used to be neighbors, and we enjoyed it so much that we kept it as part of the season.

Watching movies at home is great too, except for the interruptions. At a theatre, you're forced to stay there and watch the entire thing at once, no DVR, no answering the phone, no "Can you still pause it so I can put the clothes in the dryer?" I know I'm going to be sitting for a while, so I'm mentally and physically ready for that.

I've always liked watching movies, without or without company, and even the Lifetime ones when I was a young mom (I know, even Lifetime). What I like about movies are the same things I like about books--their ability to transport, encourage, entertain, etc. Books move my imagination, while movies engage more of my senses. If I read the book before seeing the movie, I am usually let down because I "met" these characters already and know their stories, and well, someone just wasn't paying attention.

Thank You, Lord, for this diverse and influential medium of entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment