Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Day 24

I am grateful for Ryan.

First, I have to declare here that I'm prayerful about what or who I name on each day. I have no favorite child, and I don't love one more than another. Jyllea happened to be the Thing Du Jour a while ago, and it just happens to be Ryan today. I'm sure Brett will be named in the future, so I just don't want any misunderstanding here. That can be a potentially touchy subject, although I believe my family knows me better than that. Okay, 'nuff said.

This guy's been our entertainment center since he was a baby! His pouty face at only a couple of months old is on our fridge, and it was my mom's favorite thing to look at for a few years. He became Garth Brooks in his preschool years, sporting a black cowboy hat, boots, and a guitar as big as him. He would come to speak in movie quotes and would make us burst out laughing at random moments with his comic timing and skilled delivery.

Sometime in high school, he was gripped by the "Starbreather," as he calls Him, and he's never been the same. His passion for truth and God's best are only eclipsed by his desire for everyone to want those things as well. He has a heart to see women treated tenderly and with honor. He quotes Mark Driscoll, who said, "There are too many little boys running around doing man-sized damage." He sets his personal bar high for integrity and humility, because, well, why wouldn't you? Why settle for a lesser goal?

He calls when he can, but he's busier than ever in his senior year at Montana State, majoring in BioChem. Sometimes he can only talk for five minutes, but it "does my mama's heart good." It's enough that he thinks of me and tells me so. He remains one of my wise counselors and best friends, and someone I deeply admire.

Thank You, Lord, for my incredible Ryrie. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment