Saturday, January 21, 2012

Day 21

I am grateful for this hard day.

One year ago I lost my mom suddenly to a brain aneurysm. Just like *that* she was gone. It happened in the early morning. My dad was holding her, trying to offer comfort and compassion while she rocked herself gently on the bed in an effort to ease another stunning migraine. She suddenly went slack, and no one was ever able to revive her.

This year of firsts is one someone can relate to only by having gone through one. Each holiday, birthday, or anniversary was a reminder that there would be one less chair at the table, ,one less gift to give, one less voice to speak our names. It's hard to believe it's been a year already, but the fact that she is no longer in the intense pain she endured for years before gives us great relief and a large measure of gratitude. In an instant, she was healed...

I know I'm not unique in the sentiment that I miss my mom, my biggest fan, every single day, but to know that she is utterly at peace now in a place where there is no night is a huge counterweight. This day is hard, but it also overflowing with grace.

Thank You, Lord, for Your constant presence and faithful loving-kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment