Thursday, January 26, 2012

Day 26

I am grateful for my horse.

Sahib will be 16 years old in April. I've had him since he was two years old, and we trained him ourselves. His gentle, playful manner makes him the default ride for children and newbies who want to ride.

He behaves more like a dog than a horse sometimes. We sometimes refer to him as Houdini because he finds ways to get out of the pasture that stymie us. We put up planks in lieu of doors on the barn, and there's a horizontal one they're nailed to to make the whole thing more stable. It's about five feet high, but that didn't keep him from getting inside and helping himself to the grain and alfalfa hay. He even left us two piles of meadow muffins as a bonus. Yeah...

I love his sweet disposition and desire to do what I ask of him. We've developed a relationship based on trust and affirmed in confidence. I love his horsey smell, downy soft nose, eyes that seem to understand if I'm melancholy, and the meekness inside his powerhouse body. I'm pretty sure that he's a natural blood pressure medication for me. Just looking on him gladdens me.

Thank You, Lord, for my beautiful equine friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment