Thursday, November 29, 2012

Day 334

I am grateful for C. S. Lewis.

More can be written about him than I have either the inclination nor entitlement to include here in my lowly (but grateful) blog world. I do want to celebrate his life, work, and theology on this, what would be his 114th birthday.

The Chronicles of Narnia series was introduced to me in college. I read one after the other voraciously and then read them all again. When I found out there was a prequel, I gobbled up The Hobbit in the same greedy manner.

Mere Christianity is a work it would take me a lifetime to process. For me, it is one of those heady, meaty, philosophical classics more easily understood by readers of a higher intellect than I will ever possess. I did attempt to finish it, however, and am happy to report my success in the matter.

On my mp3 player right now are three more of his fine books, The Problem of Pain, The Abolition of Man, and The Great Divorce. Looking forward to finishing Pain, and then addressing the remaining two as I have time in the car on one of my long drives into town.

Perelandra is the first in a strange little sci-fi trilogy. It's the only one of the three that I can recommend. Even then, keep your mind open and give your theology something to do in another room.

The movie, "Shadowlands" is a biographical account of his adult life, and I loved it. His relationship with Joy Gresham and resulting marriage are its main theme and very well done.

Great man, great work, great day.

Thank You, Lord, for this humble, remarkable soul.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to be reading his sci fi series over Christmas. I am sure its going to be wonderful!!!
    I just wanted to say that I love reading your blog every day mamma. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete