Friday, February 3, 2012

Day 34

I am grateful for Alan.

This is my little brother. We're a year and eleven days apart. We were okay with each other growing up, not really terribly close, but that changed in high school. He became one of my best friends, and I cried every day for a month after he left to join the Army.

He's a wonderful husband. He brings his lovely wife coffee in bed every morning and prays with her before he leaves for work. He's an incredible father. He worked graveyard while his kids were growing up so he could attend their athletic events. He is a hero to them to this day because of his devotion, provision, humor, strength, and love.

He's a loving brother to me, despite the playful digs he gets in. When we lost our mom, he took a week off to be available to us in the terrible aftermath, stationing himself at my dad's to do whatever we needed. Shortly after that, he started signing all his emails, "Anything for you."

When Brett got married in Texas last June, his granddaughter was the flower girl. He flew down to attend, and I was humbled at the time and expense he spared to do that. When someone loves on my kids, it's a really lovely thing, and I remember...

This guy is smart, funny, hard-working, charming, and loving. It's a wondrous thing to be related to someone so great and get to enjoy him as the sweet friend I've had for 50 years.

Thank You, Lord, for my little brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment