Thursday, February 23, 2012

Day 54


I am grateful for unexpected love from unexpected places.

This was a big, sweet hug of a surprise this morning. Ryan wrote a paragraph of some really nice things about me on Facebook, posted with a picture of the two of us. I couldn't believe it. Not because he's not thoughtful and generous in spirit, but because it says he posted it on Tuesday, and this is Thursday and I just got the notification. Mostly though, I know he's super busy in this, his senior collegiate year. He has one full schedule, each year outgrowing the previous--and yet he took time out to do this for me. A-mazed, I was.

My love language is gifts, and that doesn't mean just things tangible. Any time someone shows me that I've been thought of, cared about, prayed for, or otherwise blessed upon, it's a gift to me, and I am loved on. We of the gift language fawn over our gift for a while. First, we take time to simply admire and appreciate it. We gently unwrap it and marvel as we examine it, gratitude mingling with the knowledge of being loved, creating a kind of joy stew that warms to my deeps.

I marinate in these moments of quiet joy, letting its oils penetrate and soften. The satisfaction of it all radiates to other parts of me that I didn't even know needed soothing. I am comforted, held, and smiled on--and I am blessed.

Thank You, Lord, for this brand of grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment