Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Day 45


I am grateful for Valentine's Day.

I've heard several stories behind the origin of this day, and the only one I want to believe is the one about Saint Valentine running messages back and forth between star-crossed lovers. Chaucer seems to get most of the credit for linking this day with romance.

My husband has this running thing he says about certain days set aside to celebrate something special. "Every day is our anniversary." "Every day is Valentine's Day." To a large degree, he's right. He does celebrate us every single day. He made it his life's goal to make me feel like the most blessed wife in the world. He has chosen to gift me with unconditional love and the utmost respect every day of our life together, and I have been extremely unlovable more times than I care to remember.

On the other hand, I like having a day set apart to think about and honor romantic love. Maybe I'm like most people who need to have something in front of my face before I really take a look at it and take time to appreciate it. I love being able to say that this day really does help me celebrate a gift that's been a rich, instructive blessing from Day One. I understand that it's just another Tuesday for some people, so I acknowledge this tremendous blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment