Saturday, February 25, 2012

Day 56

I am grateful for hummingbirds.

So small, so brilliant, so quick, delightful, and welcome, they are my favorite birds. With the weather warming ever so slightly, days lengthening by increments, spring's dawning rays hint, and it will soon be time to put the bright red feeder back out for my tiny visitors.

My mom had one light on her finger once. I know a family where that happens a lot, but this was once in a lifetime for her. She was utterly captivated, willing herself invisible, not even breathing for fear any motion would end the magic. Every time she spoke of it, it was as if she was relating it for the first time, and the same joy would dance in her eyes.

I can't remember the name of the tale, but the book Moral Compass contains the story of a family of sisters, and each takes after a certain type of bird. The youngest of the sisters is lovely inside and out and is the hummingbird, the most welcome bird of all.

I found the most petite nest on the ground today, utterly dwarfed by the humongous pine it rested under. My sweet friends will be back soon, and I can't wait.

Thank You, Lord, for these beautiful little creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment