Sunday, February 19, 2012

Day 50

I am grateful for birthdays.

While I often breathe thanks for the lives of the people I love, I like that there is one special day every year to celebrate the day each of these precious people were born. My daddy's 82nd birthday was yesterday, and I talked to him three times on the phone. Alan and Wayneen picked him up for church today, and we three met them there.

Dad bought a bunch of soda and some cookies for everyone. We potlucked pizza, salad, and dessert. Both of our little families gave him cookies, which made me smile. Jylle made them, but they were from all three of us. Alan & Wayneen's were storebought, but they looked delectable.

Over a simple but scrumptious lunch, we laughed, caught up, told stories, shared views on the socio-political scene, and soaked up being together. My niece Jeslyn joined us later, and Dad's friend Leroy came too. There is magic in the simple. There is a gentle gladness in simply beholding these dear faces.

Thank You, Lord, for birthdays and precious ones to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment