Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Day 46

I am grateful for The Hunger Games trilogy.

It's a story of the tyrannical abuse of power by an overtly self-indulgent government and the innate human desire for freedom. It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a series of books like I have these. Actually I've only gone through the first two, but I'm going through Catching Fire a second time. I'm amazed at how much I missed the first time, so it's been great, almost like the first time.

Not only is the plot original and creative, but the characters are allowed to develop without excessive wordiness. I like the lack of expletives and sex, and how the author came up with smart labels for certain things and peoples. For instance, an "avox" is a servant whose tongue has been cut out. It comes from the Latin "a" for "without," and "vox," which is "voice," so "without voice."

The heroine's wistful mentioning of her late father's life and skills is touching. I like how unrequited love is not dealt with overdramatically, but the reader is keenly aware of the pain it must cause based on character development. She assumes on our intelligence, and I like that. Well done, ma'am.

Thank You, Lord, for Your creativity and giftings.

No comments:

Post a Comment