Friday, June 8, 2012

Day 160

I am grateful for Jeslyn.

This is my brother Alan's second daughter, the middle child. (I'm the middle child too, so I had that instant connection with her there. ; )

She is strong, compassionate, intelligent, charming, and sincerely interested in you. Her skills as a journalist are impressive as I watch her interact with others. She makes you feel like you're the only person in the room, even if there are 50 others.

She is the only Democrat in our family. But her handle on what it means to be Jesus's feet and hands is sure and steady. As a teenager, she took her whole paycheck and bought food  to take to the homeless. This past winter, she took several weeks to go through my folks' storage area and completely pack her car with coats and blankets to give to the street people in a "free fair" downtown. She founded the Women's organization at EWU in an effort to give them a collective voice in campus affairs. She has served with missions in Africa twice and will probably return since she left a large chunk of her heart there.

After she finishes her masters degree, she'll begin work on her PhD. Where she ends up depends on the fellowship she's awarded. While I hope it's not too far away, it'll be exactly where God wants her. I'm so very thankful that she's taken it upon herself to visit my dad once/week, even though she keeps up a steady flow of activity. He cherishes her company. And I cherish this girl. Bless her on this, her 27th birthday.

Thank You, Lord, for our beautiful Jeslyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment