Monday, June 25, 2012

Day 177

I am grateful for speech impediments.

I don't have one, and no one in my family does, but I enjoy a good lisp in a child. I know that's not something anyone should encourage because who wants to hear a grown man say "I want thith one"? It IS cute in a child though, and it always makes me smile, even as I hope he's seeing a qualified therapist.

I helped my friend, Betsy, once when I was watching her little Katie. She would drop her r's and say things like "buttoo" instead of "butter." I worked with her off and on over the course of several hours, and eventually she got it. I was as proud and pleased as Katie was to show my friend what we'd accomplished. She got a funny look on her face and called me as soon as she got home. She explained that she's a speech therapist and knew her daughter would outgrow it. She actually enjoyed the mild impediment, knowing it wouldn't last long. I felt so bad... We joke about it now, but I'll never forget that look on her face.

We find the priest funny in "The Princess Bride" because we know a lisp is tolerable in children, but not okay for adults. "Deewy Bewuvved..." makes any fan of that movie smile and join in. I still think it's funny that someone made the word "lisp" unprounceable to someone who has one.

Thank You, Lord, for the humor in this manner of speech, but keep them from mocking and bullying who have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment