Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Day 339

I am grateful for alternative medicine.

All my life we relied on conventional medicine to address all of our health issues. If you have a headache, take a pill. If you have an infection, take a pill. Not until this year after feeling two hundred years old because of a high cholesterol medication did I seriously look into some other path.

A friend recommended her doctor, and going away from that first visit, I finally felt some hope, something I had lost within the bounds of the established medical community. A plaque on the wall is entitled, "Why I Am a Doctor of Chiropractic." The reason that just grabbed me was "Because I choose to care for the patient with the disease, not the disease." He said I'm a whole person, and the whole person needs to be addressed, not just an isolated part of the body. He has studied natural medicine for years, and I finally have someone who will champion my cause. He will take it personally if I don't get better.

It's been three months, and I feel so good. He said it would take about six months to get my numbers back to normal, and I'm right on track. Even beyond that, I feel cared about by everyone in his office. When his wife, who does the accounting, said, "Take care of yourself" after my second appointment, I got choked up. No one in the medical field has ever expressed that to me.

I got rear-ended last month, and he's been treating my neck and back for soreness and ache. This was my third appointment, and I'll probably only need one more. He has been gentle, thorough, encouraging, and professional, like receiving treatment from my brother. I feel safe and valued.

I brought them some pancit for lunch, the hallmark dish from the Philippines. My mom did that all the time, brought food to her health care providers. I wish she could have met these guys, but I'll try to live up to that thoughtful habit of hers. The people in this office make it easy.

Thank You, Lord, for this whole new world.

No comments:

Post a Comment