Thursday, December 13, 2012

Day 348


I am grateful for Ya-Ya parties.

They’re usually at one of our homes, but this year’s Christmas party was different. We dolled up and went to The Davenport for lunch, bags of presents in hand to share once we were seated at table. Rosie had a test, so she couldn't join us. The original four of us were together again.

Cheryl, Glenice, and Tina looked fabulous in their dresses and skirts and black wool coats. On any other day, I would have sparkled in my jacket, scarf, boots, and jeans, but this day I felt thoroughly underdressed amongst present company. They looked classically lovely.

We are real, we lavish stories and compliments on one another, and we laugh a whole lot. Giving and receiving gifts only causes the fun factor to spike, speaking as one whose love language is gifts.J From Cheryl, we got an oven mitt and two matching kitchen towels. From Glenice, we got a custom sewn pillow case in our favorite colors and a blank journal. From Tina, we got a gift bag filled with a bag of sugared pecans, pumpkin butter, balsamic dressing, the cutest little salt and pepper shakers, and a knitted headband with a little flower on it made by her Natalie. From me, they got a pair of striped gloves and a lap warmer. It’s like a neck warmer, the kind usually made of flannel and filled with some kind of grain. Heat it in the microwave, and it stays warm for a good, long while. I wanted something that would cover my lap. Bonus:  I can sit on it if my car is cold.

We descended upon Rosie after she got home from school, and it was bliss being all together again. I missed last year’s Christmas party, which was at her house, so I felt like it kind of made up for it to be able to be there spontaneously. She was overwhelmed by the gifts and the magic of us being there. I nearly cried hugging her goodbye. We couldn't stay long because Glenice had to pick up her James at the bus station. Another one  home for the holidays…

This is already too long, but I couldn't help myself. I’m extremely grateful for these wonderful parties and these souls who love me not just in spite of my warts, but because of them. I encounter Jesus in them, which is the mightiest of all gifts.

Thank You, Lord, for Ya-Ya parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment